Are Orbeez Toxic to Dogs? (Yes & No) Learn Why?

If you’re a pet owner and have kids at home, you may have heard of Orbeez, also known as water beads and hydrogel. These tiny, colorful beads can expand in water and are often used in sensory play and crafts. So are orbeez toxic to dogs?

Yes & No.

Orbeez are not toxic but can be hazardous for small breed dogs and puppies because the water beads can expand to many times their original size. The Orbeez beads can expand dog’s stomach, potentially causing blockages or other digestive issues. However, large breed and canines can easily pass the beads in the stool.

Dogs are notorious for getting into anything and everything, so it’s essential to know if water beads is dangerous.

This blog article is a comprehensive guide. Learn more to find the answers to the questions, are orbeez bad for dogs? What happens if a dog eats orbeez and more

Understating Orbeez and Its Expansion in Water

Orbeez are small, colorful beads made from superabsorbent polymers. When you add water to them, they can expand to many times their original size, creating a fun sensory experience.

The polymer material that Orbeez are made from is sodium polyacrylate, which can absorb and retain water, allowing the colorful beads to expand in size.

These water beads usually come in different sizes

  • Small
  • Normal
  • Large
  • Giant

Are Orbeez Toxic to Dogs?

Based on veterinary advice Orbeez are not toxic but can be hazardous for dogs. An adult dog can pass Orbeez through their mature digestive tract without harm in about 30% of cases. However, in 70% of cases, beads can be toxic to dogs, leading to intestinal blockage, vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

It’s important to note that water beads are more likely to be toxic to puppies and small-breed due to their smaller digestive tracts.

Small water beads typically grow to a size of 7 to 15mm (about half an inch) in diameter, and these beads are usually not a concern for adult dogs.

However, they can pose a danger to small canines due to their narrow digestive tracts, making it more difficult for them to pass the beads if ingested.

Are Orbeez Toxic to Dogs

Are Orbeez Bad For Dogs?

Yes, Orbeez are bad for dogs because it can cause stomach upset and gastrointestinal issues.

Orbeez are made of a non-toxic polymer material, but they may contain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested in large amounts. These chemicals can cause symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy in dogs.

To keep your dog safe, it’s best to keep hydrogel and similar small objects out of their reach. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your puppy ate beads or any other potentially harmful substance.

Why Are Water Crystals Beads Bad For Dogs?


Water crystal beads, also known as hydrogel or Orbeez, can harm dogs if ingested. These beads are made from a polymer material that absorbs water and expands in size.

If a dog ingests water beads, they can cause a blockage in its digestive system, leading to serious health problems such as vomiting, diarrhea, and even intestinal damage. 

Furthermore, some hydrogel beads may contain chemicals or dyes that could be toxic to canines if ingested.

You May Also Like To Read:

Potential Risks of Feeding Your Dog Orbeez

1) Blockages

Orbeez is made from a polymer material that expands when soaked in water. They can obstruct the dog’s digestive system.

If your furry friend ingests these beads, they can expand in their digestive tract and cause a blockage, which can be life-threatening.

2) Intestinal Damage

If the hydrogel becomes lodged in your dog’s intestines, it can cause tears or other types of damage to the intestinal lining, leading to infection and other serious health problems.

3) Chemical Toxicity 

Some hydrogel beads may contain chemicals or dyes that can be toxic to pets if ingested.

4) Choking Hazard

The small size and round shape of beads can also pose a choking hazard for pets, especially small breeds.

5) Surgery

In severe cases, surgery may be performed to cure the blockage caused by Orbeez ingestion, which can be costly and stressful for you and your furry friend.


Symptoms of water beads toxicity in dogs

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and discomfort
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Dehydration
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Discolored urine
  • Tremors and seizures
  • Collapse or loss of consciousness

How Soon Symptoms May Appear?

The symptoms of water beads toxicity in dogs may appear anywhere from a few hours to a few days after ingestion, depending on the amount ingested and the individual dog’s reaction.

In some cases, the symptoms may appear immediately, while in others, they may take some time to develop.

It is essential to monitor your pooch closely after ingesting water beads and to seek veterinary care immediately if you notice any signs of distress or discomfort.

My dog swallowed Orbeez. What Should I Do?

If your dog has swallowed Orbeez or any foreign object, here are the steps you should take:

  1. It is essential to stay calm and not panic, as your dog can sense your emotions and may become more stressed.
  2. Determine how many Orbeez your pup has swallowed and the size and color of the beads.
  3. Call your vet immediately to let them know what has happened and to ask for their advice. 
  4. Keep a close eye on your dog for signs of distress or discomfort, such as vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain.
  5. If you notice any of the mentioned symptoms, contact your veterinarian right away.
  6. Your veterinarian may recommend bringing your pooch in for an examination, induce vomiting or providing instructions on monitoring your dog’s condition at home.
  7. Follow their advice closely and contact them with any questions or concerns.

When to Seek Veterinary Care if Your Dog Has Ingested Orbeez?

If your dog has ingested Orbeez, it is important to seek veterinary care if you notice any symptoms such as difficulty breathing, choking, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and discomfort, lethargy, weakness, or loss of appetite.

These symptoms can indicate serious health issues such as an intestinal blockage, digestive issue, or airway blockage.

Early intervention is crucial in preventing complications. Your veterinarian can follow the procedure of induce vomiting examine and determine the best course of treatment for your furry friend, which may include medication, surgery, or other interventions.

water beads

Reasons Why Dogs May be Attracted to Orbeez

There are several reasons why dogs may be attracted to Orbeez:

  1. Texture: Dogs are attracted to different textures, and the squishy and gel-like texture of Orbeez may appeal to some dogs.
  2. Color: Orbeez comes in various bright colors, which may be visually stimulating to canines.
  3. Smell: Orbeez do not have a strong odor, but they may have a subtle scent that some dogs find appealing.
  4. Playfulness: Canines are naturally curious and playful animals, and hydrogel can be seen as a new toy or object of interest.
  5. Accessibility: Orbeez may be easily accessible to pets if they are left out in the open or within reach, making it more tempting for them to investigate and possibly ingest them.

How Can I Prevent My Dog From Eating Orbeez?

To prevent your dog from eating Orbeez, here are some tips you can follow:

  1. Store Orbeez and other small objects in a secure location that your dog cannot access.
  2. Keep an eye on your dog when playing or exploring new environments to ensure they do not ingest anything harmful.
  3. Train your pet on basic commands such as “stop,” “leave it,” or “drop it” to prevent them from picking up or ingesting objects.
  4. You can use bitter-tasting sprays or deterrents to discourage your dog from chewing or ingesting non-food items.
  5. Provide your dog with safe and appropriate toys to play with, such as chew or puzzle toys, to satisfy their natural urge to chew and play.
  6. If your dog has a history of ingesting non-food items or if you have concerns about their behavior, speak to a pet expert for advice on how to prevent this behavior.


Can Orbeez cause intestinal blockages in dogs?

Yes, if ingested, Orbeez can cause intestinal blockages in dogs, which can be life-threatening.

Can Orbeez cause harm to a dog’s teeth?

It is unlikely that Orbeez would cause harm to a dog’s teeth, as they are soft and squishy. However, if a dog chews on them aggressively, it could potentially damage their teeth.

Can Orbeez cause dehydration in dogs?

No, Orbeez themselves do not cause dehydration in dogs. However, if a dog ingests them and experiences an intestinal blockage, it could lead to dehydration as a secondary effect.

Can Orbeez cause vomiting in dogs?

Yes, if a dog ingests Orbeez, it could cause vomiting as its body tries to expel the foreign object. If the hydrogel expands in the stomach, it could cause discomfort and nausea, leading to vomiting.

My Final Thoughts

Can dogs eat Orbeez? Never allow your furry friend to eat Orbeez. The water beads may not produce any toxic effect but can be hazardous for your pet.

Affiliate Disclosure: Dogs Escort is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases made through affiliate links on our site. Read Our Disclaimer.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *